While we recently learned we’ll be getting a surprise Paul Thomas Anderson film this year with Cameron Winter at Carnegie Hall (set to world premiere at the New York Film Festival ahead of a November roadshow), his next narrative feature may be coming sooner than expected. Following his six-time Oscar-winning One Battle After Another, PTA has decided on his next project, according to long-time collaborator Jonny Greenwood.
“Paul is getting close to pressing the button on the next film, I believe, and I’m already trying to learn a new instrument that would be central to it,” Greenwood told Screen Daily. “It’s quite protracted.”
He added, “It may well not even be a while, but he had a few ideas and I think he’s chosen one and he seems to be gaining momentum again. You think the [next] film is going to take years to do, and often they do. But then he turned Licorice Pizza around in a matter of months.”
Greenwood also talked about how he dedicates himself fully to the process when teaming with PTA, saying, “When I’m working on a film for Paul, it’s pretty much all I think about for months on end. I don’t have a team. I don’t have anyone sort of arranging or helping, which is good because it means I can obsess about it all for ages. The bad thing is, it means I can’t do more than one film a year, two sometimes. I felt like I had the choice about five years ago to get all professional and have a team and do it properly. But that’s not really me. I suppose that’s the secret – I’ve been indulged working with someone who is happy for me to spend as long as I need while he’s shooting. I’ve never had that thing of, ‘Here’s the finished film. We need it in three weeks. Hire your arrangers.’ That’s how it is for a lot of soundtrack composers. Whereas when Paul comes here and watches me work, he says he finds it funny, because it looks like amateur hour because it is me and paper and a printer that’s not working, and the orchestra’s coming tomorrow. But he knows I’m taking it very seriously. He’s a very funny man. He’s got a very European sense of humour.”
As for what Paul Thomas Anderson’s next film could be: he has discussed a 1940s-set jazz project that could potentially star Denzel Washington, and there is that new Thomas Pynchon novel that’s ripe for adaptation. In reality, however, it’s probably something entirely new, and we’ll likely only learn once the trailer arrives.
For more PTA updates, read our extensive deep dives with the creative team behind One Battle and check out his recent conversation with producer Sara Murphy and cinematographer Michael Bauman from last weekend at LA’s Academy Museum.
The post Paul Thomas Anderson Has Decided His Next Feature, Jonny Greenwood Confirms first appeared on The Film Stage.
from The Film Stage https://ift.tt/U9rdmaN
0 Comments